[aprssig] [SPAM] Re: Messaging on the NUVI GPS

Kai Gunter Brandt kai.brandt at hjemme.no
Wed Sep 3 12:54:28 EDT 2008

Scott Miller skrev:
> If you want to keep the functionality of the D710, then the Tracker2
> probably isn't what you want.
>
> I should have my first batch of protocol translator boards in this week,
> I think.  Cables are still in the works, but I'll make a few beta test
> units to try out with the D710.  It won't do messaging with the D710,
> but it'll at least let you use the nuvi to get your own position and to
> plot other stations.
>
> Scott
> N1VG

Are you using the 2.5mm jack connector for this?
If yes is it possible to use the "PS2" jack from the TNC on the 710 so
that you can use the NUVI to send messages?

It's pretty easy sending messages and receive them even when the radio
is in APRS mode. This way you can use the radio as usual but get the
extra functionality as a keyboard via the NUVI and yes also the maps.

I would love a smal unit doing just the NUVI "thing" because using a
Tracker2 is overkill if you are using a 710 ;o) So a smal translator
board interfacing the 710 with one PS2 connector and one 2.5mm

Kai Gunter
LA3QMA