[aprssig] Messaging on the NUVI GPS

Jeff N0JUH jefflists08 at corrt.com
Tue Sep 2 23:47:51 EDT 2008

> And as for the nuvi, the alternative would be to go with a small touch
> screen PC, which isn't cheap, and you'd have a hard time getting it to
> match the nuvi for plain old navigation use.

I'm not knocking the Nuvi approach - I think it's a brilliant adaptation
of existing technology.  But it's a dead end if you need anything except
its fixed feature set.

I picked up a Nokia 770 on ebay for $70.  Very powerful linux-based
system.  Could run an xastir-size program with no problems. Has a nice
GIS-enabled google-maps type of app (MaemoMapper using open streets.)
Has touch screen, usb and bluetooth.

You can pick up an older tablet pc for $300-$400. Some people pay that
much for a dedicated APRS device.

I guess I need to get off my rear and develop the killer "mobile
software APRS on commodity hardware" app :)

   --Jeff n0juh