[aprssig] Messaging on the NUVI GPS

Jeff N0JUH jefflists08 at corrt.com
Tue Sep 2 11:49:25 EDT 2008

As a software guy, I'm forever amazed at the "device" mentality of so
many hams.  With the increasing availability of tiny/cheap/powerful
computers (Nokia 700/800, smart phones, EEEPC, et al,) why do we need
dedicated "devices?"  We should be able to run full-featured APRS
software clients in most situations, for less money!

I have experimented with a number of these while mobile.  With my (not
so cheap) Sony UX and 2.5G internet, I can run AGWTracker with Google
Maps connected to APRS-IS in the car (sadly, I have better connectivity
across much of the country than I do via rf.)

Actually, I don't do that much.  The user interface on full-featured
APRS software is impossible to use while driving - not that I've
actually tried it, of course :)  But there is no reason why full
featured APRS software couldn't have an alternate UI optimized for small
touch-screens!

It's just that we seem to have shack-oriented full-pc software hams, and
mobile-oriented "device"-type hams, and have yet to take advantage of
new technology to bring the two together.

   --Jeff, n0juh