[aprssig] Universal Messaging (and new qAP feedback?)

Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr) ldeffenb at homeside.to
Wed Oct 29 12:11:17 EDT 2008

I like the the idea of the IGate feedback, but I know my current
configuration would still mess that up.  I've got a javAPRSsrv running
that believes it is bi-directionally gating packets.  It feeds them into
AGWPEpro which is configured as Receive Only, but even if it wasn't
configured that way, there is no physical connection to a transmitter of
any sort.

My IGate software would reply back that it gated the message to RF, but
the RF side would never, ever hear it.

So, if this gets implemented, at least in javAPRSsrv, we'd need a way to
tell the embedded IGate that it does not, in fact, have a transmitter
out there and is running as a receive-only IGate.

Given the recent discussion about IGate owner liability for what gets
transmitted, others may get scared into doing receive-only IGates.  Mine
is that way only as I get it going until I have a functioning T2-135
card in my Alinco so that I can remove AGWPEpro and the sound card from
the mix.  I really want javAPRSsrv to talk BlueTooth RS-232 directly to
the T2-135 to remove any coupling between the radio side and the
computer side.  Call me lightning-paranoid, but I live in Florida (the
lightning capital of the world, so they say).

Lynn (D) KJ4ERJ

PS.  Cross-posting this one to the javaprssrv Yahoo group as well.