[aprssig] Universal APRS messaging Opportunities!

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Wed Oct 29 11:32:31 EDT 2008

> Subject: Re: [aprssig] Universal APRS messaging Opportunities!
>
> I hate to be a wet blanket here, but
> kids using APRS for texting is not going
> to happen and you wouldn't like it if it did.

I think I agree completely.  My point is that the old fuds in
ham radio need to learn from the kids the value of text
messaging for immediate contact.  We are spread out over 3000
frequencies and can only find each other by pre-arranged
schedules or freqs.  But most of this falls apart in a disaster.
The Universal Text messaging should work independent of where we
are and on what freq (since it all uses the national APRS as the
connectivity)...  And re-constituting APRS in an affected area
should be a high priority.