[aprssig] Universal APRS messaging

Tyler Allison tyler at allisonhouse.com
Thu Oct 23 21:25:28 EDT 2008

> On Oct 23, 2008, at 8:58 PM, Tyler Allison wrote:
>>>
>> The only thing I can think of that has any real chance of success is
>> securing the front door(s) we can secure (eg: web based injection, not
>> RF). OpenID would be fine, but don't expect it to secure the APRS-IS
>> itself...it's only real value is the front door...not the backbone.
>
> We'll have to agree to disagree on this. I think providing any
> illusion that there is security is wrong. IGate operators need to know
> they bear total responsibility for everything transmitted through
> their IGate. Authenticating web access give the illusion of security
> which does not exist.

No we don't. I agree with you on a philosophical stand point :)

What I meant is that if someone is bound and determined to implement
something the only real thing I've heard that might stop some random acts
of annoyance is the web access authentication. But it should not be
cloaked in the guise of removing liability. It's stopping ankle biters,
which are not the real liability risk.

-Tyler