[aprssig] Universal APRS messaging

Steve Dimse steve at dimse.com
Wed Oct 22 11:24:29 EDT 2008

On Oct 22, 2008, at 9:44 AM, Robert Bruninga wrote:

> I am excited about all of these methods for sending APRS
> messages, but I think that browser based systems need an
> authentification system.  Users should have to set up an
> "account" so that they can establish a PIN number or something
> to authenticate.

An authentication system on findU would be like an expensive new lock
on the front door of a building with no rear wall. You may feel more
secure looking from the front, but it is a false sense of security. It
may even deter a casual thief, but anyone with malice is going to look
around the back. It is also a lot of work to create the authentication
system, and even more to handle all the problems people would have
getting authenticated. If the back end is secure, it would be worth
the effort. With the back wall wide open I'm not going to waste my time.

The code for sendmsg.cgi is all of 51 lines. More than half that is
just standard code to extract the parameters from a cgi request. It is
trivial, anyone could do it in a day, including the time to research
the APRS message format and APRS IS connection protocol. Even if I did
authenticate, it should not make you feel one bit more secure.

I spelled out the ways that an IGate operator could be left holding
the bag for transmissions that violate the rules. Not one single IGate
operator said that they were concerned. Instead, on the sig and
privately I was called paternalistic and protectionist. OK, I can see
that now. I guess the cause is the heat I took when developing the
Internet side of APRS. There were a lot of hams that considered me a
traitor and weren't afraid to tell me (including you Bob, for the
first few days after I released javAPRS, until I convinced you it
would be good for APRS). That made me overly defensive, and I was
holding back things just to avoid hearing from those people again if
something went awry. I see now that I was wrong, and I apologize.

> Another thing we can do is have any such message generated by a
> non-RF device insert its own identificaiton in the message.  My
> thoughts are in the LINE number field.  There we can use the
> last two bytes as an identifier, insert {xxxFU for Findu, or
> {xxxFI for Finland or whatever.  This is because the radios
> display at least the last two bytes of the line number.

Per the spec, message numbers are used only if an ACK is expected. I
initially had them for no particular reason, but someone said there is
a problem with queries and numbers. I checked the spec and realized
the numbers should not be there for this application anyway, so I
removed them. Note that there is already an indication of internet
origination in every packet, the TCPIP or TCPXX. That is, assuming the
programmers follow the rules. I could just as easily had the code send
the packet with a q construct indicating origination on RF. Even if
someone decided to filter out everything TCP(IP,XX) they should not
feel one bit more secure. If someone is worried about security, they
either need to build a new, secure APRS IS, or find another ham radio
system to play with!

Bob, come towards the light. You and I were apparently the only ones
left that felt protective about the system, everyone else wanted
convenience. Now I am enjoying my new found freedom, and you stand
alone.

Steve K4HG