[aprssig] Explain path please

Cap Pennell cap at cruzio.com
Mon Oct 20 00:07:40 EDT 2008

Yes, all basically correct.  Path traceable from left to right in the
packet.  Your own TNC adds the "*" after the callsign of the digi you heard
(some mark earlier ones too).  Some digis don't leave the WIDE1 showing
after use, though they do properly insert their own callsign into the
packet's path history.  "Traceable WIDEn-N".

N8JE-9>APT406,W4MIN,WIDE1,WC4PEM-10,WC4PEM-14,WIDE2*,qAR,KC4ZVV-2:!2716.84N\
08150.06Wk028/010/A=000101/Scanning Local Repeaters

The three-hop path taken by N8JE-3's packet to the IGate shows left to
right:

N8JE-9 > W4MIN > WC4PEM-10 > WC4PEM-14 > (KC4ZVV-2 IGate)

N8JE-9 had set the station's path to WIDE1-1,WIDE2-2
More often, three-hop paths aren't needed, and setting WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1 is
better (two hops in all directions).
http://info.aprs.net/index.php?title=Paths

73, Cap KE6AFE