[aprssig] Universal APRS messaging

Steve Dimse steve at dimse.com
Sun Oct 19 21:15:49 EDT 2008

On Oct 19, 2008, at 8:53 PM, Gregory A. Carter wrote:

> By your standards of "martarism" then every APRS software developer
> should just disable APRS Messaging altogether to protect iGate
> owners from liability.

No, because that would not protect them. You do not need an APRS
client, just a telnet program.

I don't think you should ban guns because they can be used for a
crime. I do think that anyone that buys one needs to be aware of the
consequences of owning one, especially the legal responsibility for
actions outside your control (e.g. your 5 year old  kid gets ahold of
it and kills his friend). I believe that everyone in the chain, from
the gun designer to maufacture to shopowner to buyer shares
responsibility for the safe operation of that gun.

> As stated before, you cannot send a message from OpenAPRS...

No need to be defensive, I tried to make it very clear this is not
about OpenAPRS, I do not see any problems with your authentication
mechanism. I just think it is wasted effort, because the all that
effort funnels into a system that has zero security. The effort needs
to be in the infrastructure first.

> I fail to see how the level of control we have implimented threatens
> the remote iGate user.  I'm content with agreeing to disagree with
> you and leaving it at that.

I wish you had read what I said "The fault is not with OpenAPRS, their
system is as good as one can expect from a verification system. The
problem is what follows." That is exactly what I meant. I can have the
greatest front door, deadbolts and locks ever made, but it is not much
use if there is no back wall to my house!

Steve K4HG