[aprssig] Universal APRS messaging

Steve Dimse steve at dimse.com
Sun Oct 19 20:57:21 EDT 2008

On Oct 19, 2008, at 7:51 PM, Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr) wrote:

> Figures, I checked my KJ4ERJ-12 track on aprs.fi right after poking
> send
> and found that the Tilt's GPS had me roaming around in the Gulf of
> Mexico all day.  That's what happens when you put the phone down on
> the
> dining room table with the client still running!  It'll happen to the
> best of GPSs (well, maybe not the BEST, but certainly to the Tilt)
> when
> they try to make sense out of low power and distorted signals!

The iPhone doesn't get too far off, but it has its own quirk, when it
fires up the location manager, it returns an initial position based on
cell towers and wifi networks. Around here that is off a couple miles,
less in town. It does tell you it is an inaccurate fix. I could ignore
it, but for first gen iPhones and iPod Touches it is the only fix you
get. Also indoors the GPS is hit or miss, definitely not the most
sensitive one I've used, and I'd hate to ignore that fix even on
iPhone 3Gs. So, the position bounces back and forth when I fire it up...

http://www1.findu.com/cgi-bin/track.cgi?call=K4HG-7&degree=.1

Steve K4HG