[aprssig] Universal APRS messaging

Steve Dimse steve at dimse.com
Sun Oct 19 19:01:36 EDT 2008

There is nothing wrong with WinLink's validation, or OpenAPRS, or
findU's, the original APRS IS scheme, or even the old NOS BBS's you
could telnet to (the validation question was "What is the standard
offset in kHz for a 2 meter repeater?" Enter 600 and you were verified
as a ham.) Weak as that was, it was probably enough. There is nothing
in Part 97 that specifies the strength of the verification.

The problems are (1), there is no accountability for anything on the
internet side. I can do absolutely anything on the internet and not be
in violation of FCC Part 97. Just like while sitting in my home in
Florida I am not subject to the Seattle Municipal Code, there is no
jurisdiction. Compounded this with (2), any authentication scheme,
OpenAPRS, WinLink, or 600 becomes worthless when you can inject
validated packets into the system at the next step, the APRS IS. Since
the authentication is trivially bypassed, anonymously and without
guilt, that leaves the IGate operators on the hook.

And, this is just the US. APRS is worldwide, and there are dozens of
different sets of rules that need to be considered!

I don't have any easy answers, I don't think there are any. At the
very least I want the IGate operators to be aware of the risks others
are exposing them to!

Steve K4HG