[aprssig] aprstt

Keith VE7GDH ve7gdh at rac.ca
Thu Oct 9 17:42:00 EDT 2008

Rod VE1BSK wrote...

> Is this the only way to implement aprstt or...

It could be implemented by a script running on IRLP nodes. That script
could create an APRS object based on the DTMF input. It could contain
the lat/long as entered by the APRSTT user, it could create an object
with position ambiguity near the IRLP node. However, this would just get
it to the APRS-IS. It would be up to an IGate to gate it to RF if that
was needed.

I suspect use of APRSTT is going to be a "niche" thing. Some people
will want to use it just because it can be done. I kinda think that most
people will avoid it like the plague, but I certainly wouldn't
discourage someone from using it though. Where it could be useful
would be if the radio transmitted a DTMF string that represented the
users callsign with every transmission... kinda like the original MIC-E
concept. However, that could drive other people crazy if some repeaters
didn't do DTMF muting. Of course, if it was on a simplex frequency
(IRLP or not) others within earshot will hear it in any case. If I had
to listen to it all of the time, I would probably rather it was a burst
of packet at the tail end of every transmission. Back to MIC-E again!
Of course, it could be done with BASE-91 as well.

73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH