[aprssig] APRS presentations

Scott Miller scott at opentrac.org
Wed Oct 8 01:06:04 EDT 2008

Very good stuff, thanks!

I'm starting out with a section more specifically aimed at SAR people
(who usually aren't radio people) on how APRS differs from commercial
AVL systems, and why it may be better for wilderness SAR.

I've been trying to find an example of ANY other AVL type system that
allows complete peer-to-peer situational awareness, with each unit able
to see their neighbors and share other position data - so far the only
one I can find is the Force XXI Battle Command, Brigade and Below blue
force tracking system (that's a mouthful).  I'm sure there are foreign
military equivalents.  FBCB2 apparently runs about $27,000 per vehicle.
  (Looks pretty cool, though.)

In fact, most commercial AVL systems seem to be designed around an
assumption of dumb or even actively hostile users - workers who don't
want to be tracked every where they go, and who don't gain anything
themselves by constant tracking unless there's an emergency.  I want to
emphasize this point and how the systems are generally designed around
an assumption that you want a flow of position data one way, from the
units in the field to a central dispatch station, usually relying on
outside communications infrastructure.  Which also means that there's no
interoperability between different agencies when they show up to the
same call, even if they're using the same AVL carrier.

I know I'm preaching to the choir on this point, but if anyone's got any
information on commercial AVL systems to refute any of this, let me
know.  I watch general happenings in that field, but not in much detail.
  I've never seen any signs of any of the providers opening up at all -
they're all based around monthly subscription models, or expensive
proprietary hardware if they're radio-based.

73,

Scott
N1VG