[aprssig] some questions about APRS queries

Bob Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Sun Oct 5 09:22:47 EDT 2008

>APRSD:
>1. How long after the last beacon a station
>should be reported as heard direct ?
>(Using net cycle time of 10 minutes could be to short.)

Originally the fade-out-of-aprs was set at 2 hours.  But in APRS1.1 that was suggested to be 80 minutes.  That gives 2 chances to be heard for a 30  minute station, and is just short of the 90 minutes for a full orbit of an amateur APRS satellite.

>2. What happen, if more stations were heard
> direct, than fitting into one response ?

I would suggest truncating, and if you want to be real smart, truncating by distance.

>APRSH:
>
>3. Is one hour counted from 00 to 59 OR 60
> minutes back from the time the query was received

>(The first one is much easier to implement

Originally it was clock hours.  But I think "in the last hour with the clock always sliding with time is better if you can implement it.

Bob, WB4APR