[aprssig] How to deal with DTMF keypad differences betweenmanufacturers

Jeff N0JUH jefflists08 at corrt.com
Wed Oct 1 01:55:41 EDT 2008

What a bunch of OLD F*RTS!  (I'm an major old f*rt myself, but still
have one teen at home, and work with many more in a couple of youth
organizations.)

Teens are dumping old numeric-only phones by the truckload, and adopting
alpha-keyboard phones as fast as they can.  Just a couple of years ago,
they were making fun of nerds and old men with PDA's.  But that has
changed.  A seventh grader, just this weekend, wanted to try out my
Centro, saying "all my friends are getting that exact phone."  I got my
daughter one of those slide-out-keyboard "envy" phones a year ago and
she was on the leading edge - now all of her friends have them.

Teens are not idiots! Once the full-keyboard phones became widely
available (at super low prices with a contract renewal) they dumped the
old clunky interface for something better.  I don't need to tell you
what they would say if they saw a bunch of has-been nerds claiming that
texting on numeric keypads is all the rage!

If our only option is to message with a numeric keypad, then we can make
do with it.  But don't try to pretend that it is easy and cool!

   -- Jeff, N0JUH