[aprssig] How to deal with DTMF keypaddifferences betweenmanufacturers

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Wed Oct 1 11:16:25 EDT 2008

> 1)On a cell phone or D7 YOU HAVE A DISPLAY!!!
> You can actually see what you are keying
>
> 2)You can compose and edit the entire line
> BEFORE you hit <SEND> !!
>
> Keying in a perversely clunky multiple
> keypress sequence in the blind in real
> time is absurd.

True, but the 97% use of APRStt is a *fixed* callsign keyed
-once- into your DTMF memory.  From then on it is only one key
press to send in real time.

For any other function that might require spelling, (rare)
APRStt will accept the string, then read its interpretation back
for confirmation befor action...

> On a TH-D7 or D700, the keyboard does not
> do text entry.

Not true.

> For each character position
> in a message, you spin the click-stop
> tuning knob (or use the cursor up/down arrows)

I don't.  I have always used the key pad and find I can use the
key pad much faster for enteing messages and email...

Bob, WB4APR