[aprssig] Interesting setup ... but will it work?

Jason KG4WSV kg4wsv at gmail.com
Sat Nov 29 08:07:06 EST 2008

On Fri, Nov 28, 2008 at 5:15 PM, Stephen H. Smith <wa8lmf2 at aol.com> wrote:

> Essentially, if a machine is old enough to have ISA slots, it probably
> can't safely be used on the Internet since you can't run  modern OS'es
> or security on it.

Only if your definition of "modern operating systems" is "windows"
(which is about 180 degrees out of phase with reality). It would run a
lightweight linux install just fine.  A full up APRS client with
detailed mapping may be a bit sluggish, but I think Kurt, one of the
xastir developers, still pulls out an old 486 to test xastir on every
so often to make sure it still runs.

-Jason
kg4wsv