[aprssig] Interesting setup ... but will it work?

Arte Booten n2zrc at optonline.net
Fri Nov 28 10:55:58 EST 2008

Hi all,

     I have the following two interesting pieces of hardware, which I bought
specifically to set up a computer dedicated to APRS.  The first is an A.E.A.
PCB-88 TNC (the equivalent of a PK-88, with a twist).  The other is from HAL
Communications, a P-38 HF modem (precursor to their DXP-38).

     The twist with both of them is that they're each full-length ISA cards,
taking their own com ports and IRQ's.

     My intent is to have an HF>VHF gateway which will not transmit at all -
I am, after all, a Technician, not General - , have the VHF port retransmit
HF packets addressed via GATE, as well as being a WIDE1-1 "fill-in" digi.

     I also want it to be able to connect to a TCP-IP server to pass what I
hear there.

     Is this feasible for someone that does not know how to write his own
programming code?  I am flexible in setting up this machine with Linux, DOS
or Windows 2000 or earlier.

     Or am I just suffering from wishful thinking  8-{)>  73