[aprssig] Universal Messaging and Mobile Communications

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Tue Nov 25 09:28:58 EST 2008

Everyone of us needs to get out there and change the way radio
amateurs have misunderstood APRS as only a vehicle tracking
system!

I was pleased today to check the HamHUD site for progress and
saw this:

"... but STAND BY for a MAJOR ANNOUNCEMENT on the NEW HamHUD,
which has been in the works for nearly a year.  It is in the
hands of selected alpha testers now, and is planned to be
released in time for the Christmas shopping season.  DETAILS TO
COME!  --KA9MVA"

I hope Steve does not mind my posting that here, since it is on
his main web page. www.hamhud.net and the HamHUD will go a long
way towards fulfilling the range of options available to mobile
radio amateurs to help them COMMUNICATE and share local info.

It is time to move-onward with amateur radio COMMUNICATIONS!
With the HamHUD, the Kenwoods, the Yaesu's, the OLPC, the
Blackberry's, the IPODS, and cellphones, we need to be ever
mindful of our goal to fully integrate everything so that we can
communicate anytime, anywhere, with any device knowing only
CALLSIGN.  See www.aprs.org/aprs-messaging.html

Then, with the message link working, we can tie in voice via
Echolink, IRLP or whatever.  This has been our goal since 2001
or so.  Please see www.aprs.org/avrs.html

And all of this includes even the old ham with nothing but a
touchtone HT...  See www.aprs.org/aprstt.html

Bob, WB4APR