[aprssig] Protocol parsing questions

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Thu Nov 20 16:44:13 EST 2008

There are two documents written to help you parse APRS:
www.aprs.org/txt/APRS-parser-default.txt
www.aprs.org/txt/APRS-parser.txt

The first one makes sure that you at least estimate a vicinity
plot on a new callsign no matter what his packet, so that he
exists within your system with the best guess position until you
subsequently get a valid posit.

The second document above shows you the process for working your
way through the parser.  If a packet passes all the way through
the parser and does not match any formats, then put it in the
BAD-PACKET list.  But if it is the only packet you have received
from a station, then put it in the STATUS list as the best info
you have from that station.

Bob, WB4APR

00812z3837.76N/09220.63W_014/00