[aprssig] OLPC $199 laptop again

Neville A. Cross nacross at gmail.com
Mon Nov 17 12:05:50 EST 2008

For what is worth OLPC is in fact a Laptop, load with Fedora Linux
using Sugar as desktop. I have seen OLPC running Fedora with Gnome
Desktop and also running ubuntu. So it is possible to change the OS.
There is a memory with Fedora Linux preloaded on sale at Amazon to do
this kind of change more easily.

I have read some news about a few thousands of OLPC donated to a south
american country by microsoft and those are running windows.

So, it is posible to use this hardware for amateur radio use no matter
that we don't have any ham radio software designed to run over Sugar.

Going further you can download a fedora linux live cd with Sugar
desktop to try the OLPC at your regular computer.

Hope this facts may help.

--
Neville
Linux User # 473217