[aprssig] OLPC $199 laptop again

Scott Miller scott at opentrac.org
Sun Nov 16 12:31:25 EST 2008

I've got one of these, and I have to say I've been a little
underwhelmed, at least by the software.  The hardware's good for the
price, especially considering how rugged it is.  But the keyboard is
difficult for an adult to use, and even my kids find it annoying.  The
rubber 'keys' like to squish to the side and don't give good feedback.

I found the Sugar interface clunky and confusing, and inconsistently
implemented.  As much as I'd like to see this project succeed, I'm
afraid I really don't have that much faith in it.  Not when regular
netbooks are heading into the same price range.  Maybe if the software
suite has really been drastically improved in the last 9 months, but I
haven't heard anything about that.

Considering how long it's taken this project to get moving, Moore's Law
is going to be their biggest problem.  The Simputer project ran into the
same problem - by the time they had a product, commercial PDAs and
handheld PCs were cheaper and faster.

If they'd just sell individual units to the general public for $200 or
$250, I think I'd put more work into APRS stuff for it, but for now it's
too expensive.

Scott
N1VG