[aprssig] OpenAPRS has assumed "EMAIL" alias(was UniversalMessaging)

Pete Loveall AE5PL Lists hamlists at ametx.com
Fri Nov 7 14:53:58 EST 2008

The fix was number 3 as that did not require any change to client software and did not cause any AX.25 issues.  EMAIL is a valid AX.25 callsign but, more importantly, it is a valid 3rd party callsign since it is never put on RF in an AX.25 header.  The APRS-IS clients and servers basically follow AX.25 addressing rules with the following additions:

Callsigns may be 3 to 9 characters.  If the callsign is longer than 6 characters, the total length of the callsign and SSID must be 9 characters or less.
SSID may be any one or 2 alphanumeric sequence (ASCII a-z, A-Z, and 0-9)
Callsigns may be upper and lower case

These extensions allow for more than 16 "stations" on APRS-IS and go with the understanding that gating to RF is in third-party APRS packet format.  It has been found that the Kenwood radios handle these callsigns just like object callsigns when they are in third-party packet format without problem.

73,

Pete Loveall AE5PL
pete at ae5pl dot net