[aprssig] Tracking Risks?

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Thu Nov 6 15:02:45 EST 2008

> PS.  While I appreciate the power of
> the correlated data that Bob mentions,
> it'd get really spooky to me if someone
> actually started aggregating this data.

I agree.  It would be nice in the hands of the local amateur
radio response organization, but I would not feel comfortable
making it widely publiclly available.

Of course, as you say, its all out there, but in the spirit of
operational procedures, I would hope that any amateur that may
develop such a database search engine might consider limiting
access... To trusted and or registered agents.  And then TRACK
who THEY are spying on... <wink>

Bob, Wb4APR

  I KNOW it's all out there and freely
> available
> thanks to APRS-IS and how we use it, but the thought of seeing
it all
> gathered into one place is kinda creepy.
>
> PPS.  On a related note, I'm still trying to catch W4LOV some
> time when
> he's parked just down the street from my house!
>
> Robert Bruninga wrote:
> > There is so much APRS data that we are ignoring.
> >
> > Imagine the usefulness during an emeregency call up, of
being
> > able to correlate all kinds of things from the APRS data
bases:

> > 1) Where is his home?
> > 2) Where does he work?  Where is his church?
> > 3) Where else does he go?
> > 4) What is his routine route?
> > 5) Who else does he associate with?
> > 6) What are his work hours
> > 7) What are his top N locations?
> > 8) Who are his friends? (messages?)
> > 9) Is he on his routine?
> > 10) Is he far from his routine?  How far?
> > 11) What is the weather on him right now?
> > 12) What emergency items are near him?
> >
> > All of these are readily availble by simply correlating all
the
> > existing data and applying some hueristics..  A great
student