[aprssig] Universal Text Messaging and SMS

Pete Loveall AE5PL Lists hamlists at ametx.com
Thu Nov 6 11:53:27 EST 2008

EMAIL-2 has been the recommended APRS "callsign" to use for accessing my javAPRSEmail server for a couple of years now instead of AE5PL-EM.  Sort of like "EMAIL version 2".  This is also stated at the http://www.aprs-is.net/Email.aspx page Bill gave in his post.

Since the address in a message packet is always 9 characters, shortening this by 3 or 4 characters does nothing for bandwidth.  I use a TH-D7A for messaging sometimes and the delay to add a the extra 3 or 4 characters is insignificant IMO.  It is easy for people to remember "EMAIL" as a callsign and hopefully "EMAIL-2" as the "version 2" of the EMAIL server.

73,

Pete Loveall AE5PL
pete at ae5pl dot net