[aprssig] Universal Text Messaging and SMS

Bill Vodall WA7NWP wa7nwp at gmail.com
Thu Nov 6 10:37:56 EST 2008

>>> we already have the one-way
>>> APRS ==> Email system working.
>>
>> Actually it appears this is still down.
>> Could somebody pick up the EMAIL alias
>> for now?   What's the other working
>> alternatives?
>
> See: www.aprs.org/aprs-messaging.html
>
> The purpose of that Universal Messaging web page was to try to
> summarize all existing systems, and new systems as the come on
> line.  Its surprising how many text messaging capabilities we
> have in ham radio already.
>
> The IS ==> EMAIL systems are:
> - WU2Z Email Engine:  Send to "EMAIL"

This is down...   Anybody hear how Keith is doing?

> - AE5PL Email Engine: Send to "AE5PL-EM".

This I'll try tonight after work.  I believe there are other folks
running Pete email program with different addresses.   (It would be
great it somebody would use the simple address of "EM" or maybe "EM1..
EM2..etc"   Every character saved helps.

More info on the AE5PL Email system:  http://www.aprs-is.net/Email.aspx

> - APRSlink on WLNK-1: Send to "WLNK-1" using SP command

This is different then the one-line SMS system and is similar to the
NTS functionality in APRSDOS.  See full details at:

 http://www.winlink.org/aprslink

Note that the SP commands in winlink are for connected packet
applications and not APRSLINK.

73
Bill - WA7NWP