[aprssig] Dayton, Voice Alert, Ohio and WV.

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Fri May 30 10:37:35 EDT 2008

>> I know, but I still cannot understand why the
>> majority of APRS hams would waste a perfectly
>> good receiver, permanently in their car,
>> tuned to a national calling channel, with
>> automatic proximity detector... by setting
>> the volume to OFF..
>>
>> Instead of [setting CTCSS 100 and using it]:
> > http://www.ew.usna.edu/~bruninga/VoiceAlert3.html
>
> I'm glad someone agrees with my idea of loading
> two adjacent memory channels, one without tone.

Yes Charlie, and it also solves the problem with the New D710.
Since some people complained that "voice Alert" was not in any
of the Kenwood Manuals, they added it as a "function" in the
D710 to give it some official recognition.  But then if you set
VA on as a special function", then you cannot turn it off
without going back to that MENU.

So your idea of setting one channel with 144.39 with CTCSS 100
and setting another channel with 144.39 without, makes it
trivial to switch back and forth.  Also, while driving
sometimes, I like to switch to speaker and listen to the APRS
channel sometimes.  It is amazing what you hear.  LOOOOOOONG
TXD's, Poor quality audio, Distorted audio, low audio,
overdriven audio, skewed audio, etc...

But having two channels,  for 144.39 one with and one without
CTCSS 100 makes it easy to operate back and forth.

Bob
WB4APR