[aprssig] I-80 Ohio/IN and D710 objects

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Tue May 27 17:17:22 EDT 2008

> A lot of objects out there, some would tune but
> most would not. Some would key up but most would
> not so it was either a "paper repeater" or the
> object did not include the proper, if any, tone code.

Yes, this standardized FREQ object concept is only about 3 years
old, and yet some digis have been beaconing some free-text
frequencies in their digipeater beacons for many years.  SO it
is time to search these out, and help the sysops to properly
configure to the format.

> When it comes to repeater objects that can be probably
> the MOST useful thing for visiting travelers but if
> it's a bogus repeater or not configured
> correctly to use the TUNE feature don't even bother.

Its amazing the number of FREQ objects that do not properly
contain the "Tnnn" for tone.  It is fixed-3-digit-format,
without any decimal Hz.  So 107.2 is "T107" and 79.7 Hz is
"T079" yet the majority of sysops have it wrong. Google for
"APRS localinfo" for format.

> About 6 weeks ago I did a SC to NY/NJ run along the
> western portions of VA and MD. I saw a lot of repeater
> objects but most of them were showing up to 200 miles
> away.

Bingo! It's the ego-peaters that are coming in from 100+ miles
away that really ruin it for everyone.  When my display clutters
up with these ego-peaters that are no where in range, it
undermines the list of the ones you could use...