[aprssig] APRS needs...

Scott Miller scott at opentrac.org
Tue May 27 11:00:02 EDT 2008

I was thinking more along the lines of having the digis broadcast a map
of slot utilization as heard at each site for a 5-minute net cycle.
It'd be based on DCD activity and not decoded packets, and would
distinguish between no activity, non-receipt (weak or colliding signals)
and good copy.  Each slot map would be transmitted direct only.

Listening for your own packets is still a good idea - that'd tell you if
your packets are the ones making it through in your timeslot.  If you're
not in a good slot, you'd make a list of slots that are open in every
digi you can hear, and then pick one in a pseudo-random sequence.

A certain set of slots would still be reserved for 'deaf' trackers and
wouldn't be subject to coordination.

Operating on the network would require meeting some basic technical
standards for TXD, maximum packet length, timeslot support, and so on.
Most of that burden would fall on the equipment developers.

Keeping an unregulated input channel would still be a good idea.
Transmit-only weather and telemetry stations with no GPS wouldn't be
able to participate in the timeslotting, with no GPS time sync and no
ability to slave to another station.

Anyway, I don't expect any of this to just happen in APRS.  It's stuff I
plan to experiment with, though, and hopefully make available for
self-contained systems.  Something like Baker to Vegas would be easier
to set up if it didn't require tedious manual assignment of timeslots.

Scott
N1VG