[aprssig] APRS needs...

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Tue May 27 09:57:21 EDT 2008

> I *really* don't like the idea of just moving traffic
> to 9600 baud without implementing some kind of
> intelligent channel access scheme.

I heard of one recently something like this:

If your packet is decoded (and you see the copy), then that is
considered a reservation for that slot one minute later.  Anyone
else who transmitted and did not receive a copy, can assume they
collided and so that slot is taken.

Simplistically, this would work for systems where everyone wants
1 minute beacons.  It has to get more complex to have variable
rates (which APRS requrires, becase everyone is doing tomething
different)...  THen each beacon has to include its rate, so
everyone knows what slot it is reserving.

But in practical terms, this would never work on the variable
topography and anarchy of APRS..

But it was a nice concept on closed nets...

Bob, Wb4aPR