[aprssig] Ham Radio, Use it or Lose it!

Rich Garcia k4gpsc at gmail.com
Thu May 22 21:12:22 EDT 2008

Well said Brian, and on another note even though people like to argue about
APRS this or APRS that it is APRS that saved packet radio no matter what
anyone will say. Sure there would have been people that would have TRIED to
continue to use packet for "traditional packet" but that would not have
lasted long at the rate we were going. DSRI went away, AEA dropped out but
then came back when bought by someone else, anyone remember Gwyn and Linda
from PacComm, how about the MFJ line? APRS came just in the nick of time to
keep the manufacturers somewhat interested. Kantronics was the only game in
town for a long time unless you bought used. Packet grew because of APRS it
and grew enough that programming guru's saw enough interest and wrote
programs to support sound card based modems.

Software based modems(often known as FREE)then grew the population of hams
trying packet and other software based modes, do you think SSTV would have
grown with Robot 800's or Kenwood VH-1's or whatever they were? Who knows
maybe sound card based modems would have not been as popular as they have
become if it were not for packet and that in turn would have hampered the
dozens of other new exotic digital modes that we have now.

A lot of it may be speculation but a lot of it is not. Either way at least
we as a group are using it, and APRS has helped ham radio in general. Argue
all you want with Bob, I think he enjoys it and it feeds his fire but also
thank him in between rants.

Rich