Tactical Value? [was: VX-8R Symbol/SSID (Was Re:[aprssig] YaesuVX-8R)]

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Thu May 22 11:20:02 EDT 2008

> Capabilities need to be described explicitly.
> I understand the historical reasons for the
> Kenwood symbol, but we really need to be
> moving away from vendor symbols.

I donno.  We have only had 1.1 major manufacturers fully enorse
and implement APRS in 10 years.  We rewarded that MFR with a
symbol.  We need to get all the other manufacturers to endorse
and implement APRS or we will always be a side-show.  We have 25
more to go before we use up the new Radio Symbol set.

When we get to that point, where the other MFRS have all
implemented APRS and no longer wonder why they don't have a
symbol, then I agree, the usefullness of the vendor symbol may
be gone.  But with 2 out of 26, I don't think we are there yet.
Bob, WB4APR

> >> What is the tactical or situational-awareness value to
> >> this?
> >
> > Extremely valuable.  With not a single 'bit' of added load
> > the network, about a megabyte of information is transferred.
In
> > that one symbol, one end of an APRS communication link has a
> > "virtual megabyte" of knowledge about the capabilities,
> > functions and operability of the other end of the link.
> >
> > If someone is having problems doing something on APRS with
his
> > equipment and someone else is monitoring with that same
> > equipment he can jump in and offer detailed knowledge about
how
> > to resolve it.  I have yet to meet any one ham who has full
> > knowledge of how to operate any of these modern gizmo
radios.  I