Tactical Value? [was: VX-8R Symbol/SSID (Was Re: [aprssig]YaesuVX-8R)]

K7FTP k7ftp at commtechreview.net
Wed May 21 14:25:28 EDT 2008

Personally, I like the brand icons.  I think that the whole codes/ciphers
and pecuniary interest discussion relating to that is garbage.

If you keep up on the radios - and people use them as they should (Kenwood
icon being used on a native APRS radio (D7A, D700, D710) for example), it
makes it clear what capabilities they have.  If someone is "spoofing" one to
intentionally cause problems, then are they really qualified to hold an
Amateur license?  I thought we were all adults of some minimum level of
moral fiber.

The only other way I can see denoting capabilities would be an icon for an
HT, and then the same icon with a modifier of some sort to denote two-way
capability, and then another to denote voice-alert in use, and then another
icon for a mobile, and another modifier for that one....  The way I see it,
advertising the brand - when the operator uses the icon appropriately - is a
more efficient method of identifying capabilities at this point.  I may be
wrong on that, but it sure looks like we would need a whole series of icons
to denote what could be done with just a couple now.