Tactical Value? [was: VX-8R Symbol/SSID (Was Re: [aprssig] YaesuVX-8R)]

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Wed May 21 13:29:53 EDT 2008

On Wed, 21 May 2008, Gregg Wonderly wrote:

> > Nobody remembers Alinco?  I think they've had three radios so far
> > which were APRS-capable, maybe more.  No, not message-capable.
> >
> > So that makes Alinco, Kenwood, and soon Yaesu in the arena.
>
> I think you don't understand the difference between a radio having an RF modem
> and being cable of injecting and receiving AX.25 vs being able to provide the
> functionalities that include decoding and encoding packets, displaying
> information from those packets etc.

Naw, not me.  They're on my APRS Client Capabilities Chart.  ;-)

I'm in the camp that'd rather see capabilities advertised on the air
than brands/models.

> And if you want display, and don't like to give your money to kenwood, don't
> like toting a laptop or other "computer", you might go look at the HamHud!
> There are things in the work, including support for D-Star and externally
> attached VGA/NTSC-composite screens.

I've got gear from GLB TNC's through Tracker2's, and even yes, a
HamHUD!  I don't have any of the message-capable Kenwoods, but some
APRS radios I use are single-band Kenwood mobiles (OLD ones!).

I'm thinking about going for the Tracker2/Garmin NUVI setup next for
the mobile, with a laptop running Linux/Xastir in the loop at times.

I'm still looking for that ultimate SAR APRS/Voice HT.  Haven't seen
one yet but am waiting for more info on the Yaesu!

--
Curt, WE7U.				archer at eskimo dot com
http://www.eskimo.com/~archer