[aprssig] Re: Tactical Value?

Rick Green rtg at aapsc.com
Wed May 21 09:19:14 EDT 2008

On Wed, 21 May 2008, kc9umr at freqradio.com wrote:

> Could the value be that *SOME* radios have full featured messaging, etc.
> whereas other radios DO NOT....

Yes, and we have methods in the spec to advertise the capabilities of a
station, which is independent of 'brand' or 'model' or 'OS environment'.

We have 'messaging capable', 'preferred voice contact channel', 'voice
alert', 'live operator present', and probably others, but those are just
the ones that I remember being mentioned on this list recently...

<OT aside:>
  Arguments about OS preference and brand preferences abound.  A few years
ago, some university researchers with time on their hands (and probably
some grant money) sought to determine which brand had the most loyal
customer base.  The results surprised them, because it turned up in a
completely different industry.

   The 'winner'?  What brand commands the most fierce brand loyalty among
it's fanboys?  (Hint:  DON'T call them 'fanboys'!)

Harley Davidson.  Think about it, What other brand do you ever see
tattoo'd into human flesh???
</OT aside>

--
Rick Green, N8BJX