[aprssig] HAMFEST objects

Steve Grantham aa5sg-2 at sera.org
Mon May 19 13:36:20 EDT 2008

There's more to do than just announcing Hamfests...

I have been hosting and routing objects, on schedule, to a couple of IGATEs
for the intended local area coverage.  These objects come up on schedule
from a cron on one of my IRLP nodes.  The scope of this is that I send out
objects for club meetings, swap meets, ve test sessions, and ham classes in
our area.  Of course, this all has to be done with timeliness and
appropriateness.  The routing is done through the use of unique SSIDs within
the object scripts from the APVR node that are each gated at the appropriate
destination IGATE.  Some objects are not routed to a gate at all as they
might more appropriately be intended for Internet display only.

I typically send out club meeting objects on the day of the meeting and
detail the event time within.  Of course, the scripted lat/lon of the
meeting place positions the object in an effort to help get you there and
the address or location description is also included in the part of the info
string that is truncated from the HUDs.  This same technique is used for the
other objects that I have scripted.  Those include objects such as the swap
meet example below.  Here, I use the zip code as a part of the object name.
I also do this with ve tests and ham classes.

Though what I have listed below does not constitute one or more complete
scripts, it should give one some idea concerning the names, symbols and
comment styles.  The zip code object naming convention has some uniqueness
of its own and these objects don't follow that suggested in this thread for
hamfests.  Neither have I sought out a unique icon for a hamstore or such.
I use a block with an assigned letter as the icon instead.  (The idea
expanded on and was adapted from the IRLP APVR scripts, including the symbol
and status character use.)  Just food for thought...

73 for now...
Steve, AA5SG

OBJ_NAME="SWP-39401"
# Set the COMMENT text
COMMENT="Swap Meet: 8AM 5Apr @ 4th St. Rails2Trails - Junk'nTrunk"
#--------012345678901234567890123456789012345678901234567890123456789
#------------------11111111112222222222333333333344444444445555555555
# Set the APRS symbol
SYMBOL=A
# Set the Status Character
STATUS_CHAR="S"

OBJ_NAME="LAMAR-CLB"
# Set the COMMENT text
COMMENT="Mtg3dTues 7:00PM"
#--------0123456789012345678901234567
#------------------11111111112222222222333333333344444444445555555555
# Set the APRS symbol
SYMBOL=A
# Set the Status Character
STATUS_CHAR="M"

OBJ_NAME="VES-39470"
# Set the COMMENT text
COMMENT="VE Tests: 26Apr 9AM N5WLW is Exam POC"
#--------0123456789012345678901234567
#------------------11111111112222222222333333333344444444445555555555
# Set the APRS symbol
SYMBOL=A
# Set the Status Character
STATUS_CHAR="T"

OBJ_NAME="TNG-39046"
# Set the COMMENT text
COMMENT="Tech Class 19Apr ask K5BLL for info"