[aprssig] RE: Not Receiving Messages from APRS-IS (Pete Loveall AE5PL Lists)

Jeff Kunce jjkunce at gmail.com
Mon May 19 13:33:58 EDT 2008

>> 20080519152102,N0JUH-3>APAGW,KA0GFC-2*,WIDE2-1,qAO,KA0GFC-3::WHO-IS
>> :N0JUH{21
>>
>> And the ack and response from WHO-IS appear on the internet:
>> 20080519152102,WHO-IS>APJIQ3,TCPIP*,qAC,jFindU-QZ::N0JUH-3
>> :N0JUH/G/JEFFREY J KUNCE/MO/USA{00
>
>> But I never see this at my station.
>>
> Yes, it should.  One thing I see when looking at KA0GFC-3 is that the same callsign-SSID is being used for a WinAPRS IGate and a Kantronics KPC-3 digi/node.  ..
>
> Finally, try WHO-15 instead of WHO-IS....
>
> I know, more information than you wanted but hopefully it is a help to understand what might be occurring.

Thanks Pete.  Never too much information!  My big beef in learning
APRS is that the info is scattered all over and I haven't found a
coherent and comprehensive reference.  BobAPR's stream of conscience
web pages are informative and entertaining, but it's like putting
together a jigsaw puzzle :)

WHO-15 worked first time!  But the response came from yet another
igate. So I'll try to contact KA0GFC and see what's going on there.

When an igate send a message to RF, I'm sure it must signal other
igates not to send that message anymore.  But I would think that it
would wait for an ack before it did that.  If an IGATE sends a message
to RF,  can I track that event on findu et al?

I used WHO-IS as a simple example, but I also have problems getting
acks from EMAIL and WLNK-1  I'll have to set up some skeds to see if
plain old ham-to-ham messaging works.

In fact, unless we get lightning, I will leave my home APRS setup
running today.  If anyone has the time, please send a message to
N0JUH-1 and a confirming email to jjkunce at gmail.com - I'd like to see
what makes it through.

Thanks!

  --Jeff, n0juh