[aprssig] Embedding live APRS maps on a web page: Dayton example

Heikki Hannikainen hessu at hes.iki.fi
Thu May 15 06:46:23 EDT 2008

   Hi,

   http://he.fi/misc/hamvention.html

   I'd like to hightlight the possibility to embed live aprs.fi maps on a
web page by just inserting a few rows of javascript in the HTML code. The
link above shows a live APRS map view of Dayton, with updates in
near-real-time when new data is received on the APRS-IS. No need to reload
the page. No refresh tags needed. You can do this on your own pages,
for your own city, balloon project or special event - instructions are at:

  http://aprs.fi/page/embed

Or just see the HTML source code of the hamvention.html page. There's also
an older blog post about the subject:

  http://oh7lzb.blogspot.com/2007/09/live-aprs-maps-on-your-own-web-page.html

Here's the HTML required to show the map:

         <script type="text/javascript">
         // latitude and longitude of the Hamvention site
         he_lat = 39.821738;
         he_lng = -84.25503;
         he_zoom = 10; // zoom out a bit
         he_width = 700; // size of the map, in pixels
         he_height = 450;
         </script>
         <script type="text/javascript" src="http://aprs.fi/js/embed.js">
         </script>

   Too bad I can't make it to Dayton, would be nice to see other APRS folks
face-to-face.

   - Hessu, OH7LZB