[aprssig] APRS balloon launches during Dayton Hamvention

Mark Conner mconner at aer.com
Wed May 14 14:06:28 EDT 2008

We wanted a quiet frequency with no (known) regular terrestrial use.  Otherwise if we had a receiver on board it'd hear everything on 144.99 for 300-400 miles around which is somewhat commonly used for packet.  We used to use 144.34 on a regular basis but heard that ATV ops didn't want to hear packet on their calling frequency unless ATV was aboard.

We have done EBBE digipeating in the past, but at the time the two balloons were only a few miles apart (during the 2004 Great Plains Super Launch).  A QSO distance of 309 miles was achieved, not all that far since simple Earth-Balloon-Earth QSOs from conveniently-located mountaintops have more than doubled that distance since.

Frequencies still have not been finalized - keep watching www.arhab.org for updates (look for the NSTAR or NSS flight details).

73 de Mark N9XTN

=======

Message: 6