[aprssig] Overlooked TM-D710 Features

Bob Burns W9RXR w9rxr_ at rlburns.net
Sat May 10 06:19:10 EDT 2008

At 06:58 PM 5/9/2008, Robert Bruninga wrote:
>L) The D710 has Smart beaconing, and Proportional pathing, and Decay
>to vastly reduce network loading.

SmartBeaconing(tm) is a trademarked term for a scheme that adjusts
APRS(r) beacon rates based on speed and direction.

I downloaded the full TM-D710 manual from Kenwood's web site this
morning and read the entire APRS(r) section. While I find mention of
a Decay Algorithm, I see no mention of SmartBeaconing(tm). This Decay
Algorithm appears to be a simple doubling of the beacon transmit
rate, from 1 minute to 2 minutes to 4 minutes...up to 32 minutes, as
long as the position does not change.

Kenwood's Decay Algorithm lengthens the beacon rate based on time
since last position change while SmartBeaconing(tm) varies the beacon
rate based on speed and direction changes. They may achieve similar
results, but they do not appear to be the same thing.

Now, you mention that Kenwood will have a TM-D710 firmware update
available at Dayton. Since you have inside information about
Kenwood's D710 firmware development, I'll accept that you may know
more about it's features, current and future, than the rest of us. I
guess we will find out next week if Kenwood has truly implemented
SmartBeaconing(tm) in the TM-D710.

Bob...