[aprssig] Kenwood Status - Thinking about TH-D7AG purchase

Jason KG4WSV kg4wsv at gmail.com
Fri May 9 17:31:53 EDT 2008

On Fri, May 9, 2008 at 3:54 PM, Ben Lindner <vk5jfk at activ8.net.au> wrote:
> Jason
>
> What don't you like about the 710?  I plan on buying 1 next month at our
> local hamfest

Oh, it's not that I don't like it.  I have a D700 myself.  I had
_hoped_ for some serious improvements with the new model, but the big
new things with the 710 seem to be a) the ability to tune to a freq
based on an APRS report comment, and b) sort the list of APRS reports.
 As far as improvements go, the 710 had nothing substantial.

The also made the bizarre and, IMO, stupid decision to change the
serial connector to mini-DIN.  DB9 is the standard for serial
connectors; if you are space constrained, the current practice in the
computer industry is to use an RJ45.  Both of those connectors have a
locking mechanism, but the mini-DIN does not.  IMO _every_ connector
on a mobile rig should have a way to lock it in place; friction fit
and reliability do not go together.

My wish list of serious improvements would include: first and
foremost, flash upgrade capability; ability to use the TNC with an
APRS application and still use the control head in APRS mode; locking
serial connectors of the correct gender (the D700 DB9 is backwards);
and probably lots of other things.

A _real_ improvement would be to open source the APRS part, but I'm
not nearly dumb enough to expect that.

-Jason
kg4wsv