[aprssig] DAO on aprs.fi!

Heikki Hannikainen hessu at hes.iki.fi
Wed May 7 13:31:44 EDT 2008

   Hi,

On Wed, 7 May 2008, Wes Johnston, AI4PX wrote:

> That's great!  I just discovered aprs.fi a few weeks ago, and it is a very
> very nice interface.  Wow.

   Thanks, I'm glad you like it.

   I've just installed !DAO! support on aprs.fi. The new Ham::APRS::FAP
version should be released in the near future, too. Thanks for the parsing
code go to Tapio Sokura, OH2KKU.

>  I recall a problem with findu not decoding the compressed format's
> speed and heading either, does aprs.fi decode compressed format
> correctly?  Findu seems to always display a speed of 19.4mph.

   Compressed format is parsed correctly, including speed and course (not
heading).

   Just to clarify: Heading of the vehicle is not transmitted in APRS
packets, just course. Heading is the direction a person or vehicle is
facing or pointing, course is the direction of travel. The difference is
more important for ships and aircraft than a car with the front wheels in
the middle position. :)

   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Course_(navigation)

   - Hessu, OH7LZB