[aprssig] Low-cost weather station

Ray McKnight shortsheep at worldnet.att.net
Sat Mar 29 17:27:01 EDT 2008

Don't assume Davis or Peet conform to NWS/WMO standards!
A few years ago there was a heated argument right here on this SIG
Regarding aligning your wind vane to magnetic north.  Peet's instruction
Manual said magnetic, of course this is entirely wrong, but some folks
Couldn't be convinced even after being presented with the actual gov'mt
Standard.  I'm not sure if Peet has ever changed their manual.

Absolutely you must consider things like wind gust and average wind
speed,
Which are usually hard coded into the weather station firmware, and
rarely
Conform to accepted reporting criteria.  Each manufacturer has their own
idea, often based on the design of their sensor, maybe to correct some
Anomaly that can't cheaply be engineered out.

Most folks don't worry about it and in the long run for hobby use it's
probably "close enough" or better than nothing at all.  It's probably
More productive to focus on siting your sensors properly or as best you
can.
But understand it's usually something that is hard coded and can't be
changed.  That's why a professional system collects the data in a raw
form
And uses a programmable translator to perform those calculations which
can be changed easily either when standards are updated or to satisfy
your specific goals.

If you want a high end, professional system, it's probably attainable.
You can usually find professional sensors and even complete systems
listed
On eBay, so if you're patient you can assemble a very nice system for
about
The same cost as a fully loaded Peet or Davis.