[aprssig] Considering buying a D7 - Some Basic Questions

Jan T. Pharo la2bba at jpharo.net
Fri Mar 28 11:05:33 EDT 2008

Steve Noskowicz <noskosteve at yahoo.com>, Thu, 27 Mar 2008 21:49:41
-0700 (PDT):

>  It'll be nice to have the portable APRS as well as the Sky Command
>capabilities.  Neither the latest QST article on the (G), nor the original
>article gave info about what is included with the radio (except the GPS cable).
>
> Specific questions:
>
>Does it have an in-radio charger?

well, yes, a "wall wart" as i hear they call it in USA;

>If so, is it a wall transformer / power supply with that really small inverted
>(female) power plug?

Yes.

>Can the radio transmit on the above charger?

No.

>Is the supplied GPS cable &  2.5mm connector similar to the D700 one? (very
>thin, soft and fairly long)

The same cable has worked for both my D7 and D700.

>What is the PC connector?

A similar cable to the GPS cable. You would want to solder the ends to
a DB9 connector (tip to 2, ring to 3, back ring to common/ground (is
that 5?)
Look in the files area of the yahoo! Kenwood TH-D7 group.
>Comments welcome on:
>    After market batteries.
I use Kenwood's AA cell holder.

--