[aprssig] Balloon Paths again and again...

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Wed Mar 26 12:25:55 EDT 2008

EVERYONE MEMORIZE THIS!

For BALOONS!
1) Use a path of WIDE2-2.
2) Never use WIDE1-1.

Reason is the balloon will hit all digis anyway.  Under the
New-N Paradigm, they will digipeat it once and only once no
matter how many times they hear the packet, so there is no
difference between WIDE2-2 and any other combination of
WIDEn-N's or WIDE1-1's..

BUT WIDE1-1 is verboten because it brings up all the FILL-IN
digis and they simply are not needed and only add QRM to the
network over many states.

But WIDE2-2 does give you TWO hops once the balloon gets down on
the ground, and this is helpful to make sure it gets into an
Igate somewhere.

EVERY ONE, REPEAT AFTER ME:  BALLOONS:  Use WIDE2-2.
Bob, WB4APR

Thanks keith for bringing this to our attention.

VE7GDH