[aprssig] Nuvi and APRS

Wes Johnston, AI4PX wes at ai4px.com
Tue Mar 25 23:07:43 EDT 2008

The GPSmap 276c used to exhibit this same duplicate waypoint behavior...
every GPWPL sentence that came it caused a new waypoint to be created that
was sequentially numbered.  I wrote Garmin about it, and they fixed it way
back in version 4.00.  Maybe writing garmin and mentioning this problem will
help expedite a fix for the NUVI series?

Changes made from version 3.70 to 4.00:

   - Corrected duplicate waypoint creation with GPWPL NMEA sentence
   input.

Wes

On 3/24/08, Keith VE7GDH <ve7gdh at rac.ca> wrote:

> Chuck (callsign?) wrote...
>
> > Just wondering if anyone is working to interface the Garmin Nuvi
> > GPS to APRS. I know there was some discussion back about a month
> > ago and I was wondering if an update is available.
>
> See the Tracker 2 www.argentdata.com  It is able to make use of the
> Nuvi's FMI. However, waypoint upload only works properly so far for the
> Nuvi 350. The other models create a new waypoint every time a station
> moves rather than updatiing the position. It is hoped that Garmin will
> provide an update for the other models.
>
> > I received a Nuvi as a present and  would like to interface it to my
> > THD700.  I have already downloaded the developers kit but am really
> > hoping work was proceeding on this already.
>
> I don't think there is any way of interfacing it with anything on the
> APRS scene other than the Tracker 2.
>
> > Also could some one tell me if there is a standard for USB cables?
> > It seems that every USB device I have has a different connector on
> > the cable.
>
> Perhaps the following page will be useful...
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usb
> Also... www.usb.org/developers/docs/
>
> 73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH
> --