[aprssig] 8 hour Backup Power Rule

John Galvin jrgalvin2 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 18 12:27:40 EDT 2008

KB0THN's comment is also true for your land line CO's, but in reverse. They
run with a battery (wet) bank connected directly to the equipment. The
batteries in turn are charged from the power mains with inverters. These
battery banks usually float at ~52vDC. Since the Chicago CO fire of some time
ago, COs are/have been converted to dual battery systems (A & B) located in
different parts of the CO. Equipment since that time has/had to be designed to
accept the A and B DC power inputs. This arrangement could last for more than
8 hours.

Regards, John - N5TIM
ex - Collins, Rockewell, Alcatel
John Galvin - N5TIM
http://www.qsl.net/n5tim for Public Service Info
http://www.garlandraces.net/

JUNK - Stuff we throw away ... STUFF - Junk we keep!