[aprssig] Data cable for Garmin GPS V

Greg D. ko6th_greg at hotmail.com
Thu Mar 13 02:32:43 EDT 2008

To Earl's original questions, I believe the following should be ok:

1.  The "-" pin is also the ground for the serial connection.  It would go to pin 7 on a DB-25 female connector.  "+" is for power, of course.
2.  The "R" pin means receive into the GPS, and "T" is the GPS sending to the HUD.  I don't have a HUD myself, and long ago decided not to try to figure out which way the RS-232 transmit and receive lines go (RS-232 has had a long history of confusion on this point), but the two pins involved are 2 and 3.  I'm pretty sure pin 2 is the communications side transmit (wire it to GPS device "R"), and 3 is receive (wire to "T") - hook it up and see if it works.  If not, switch them; it shouldn't damage anything if it's backwards.  The confusion comes from the standard's perspective of hooking a device to a modem, so technically you are making a "null modem" cable in order to hook two devices together directly.

By the way, if you end up needing a female DB-9 connector instead of DB-25, the pins are 2, 3, and 5 for Tx, Rx, and Ground.  My GPS-III (same connector) is wired R to 3, T to 2, and "-" to 5, for a DB-9 female connector when connecting it directly (null modem) to a Keyspan USB serial port pod.  If you need to use male connectors, 2 & 3 will probably be swapped.

Good luck,

Greg  KO6TH