[aprssig] Transatlantic amateur radio balloon in flight

Scott Miller scott at opentrac.org
Wed Mar 12 16:43:31 EDT 2008

I thought some sort of anti-freeze was the usual ballast for this sort
of thing.

I'm going to have to come up with a better demo of my cut-down system -
I wanted a super-cheap and reliable system to release a load from a
balloon, and I wound up using a 1-watt metal film resistor run at about
3 watts for several seconds.  It'll cut through 200-lb test Spectra
cord, and you've got plenty of margin before it starts melting its own
solder.  I had the load pull a jumper loose for feedback.

Carbon film resistors will work (if you want to do it for 2 cents
instead of 40) but they'll blacken and maybe smoke a bit.

For a ballast-dropping system, you could use a whole line of them with
something less durable than UHMWPE, like maybe Nylon fishing line, to
get faster burn-through for a lighter load.  And since you can choose
from many resistor values, you can get it to work with just about any
available supply voltage.

You can get cheap driver ICs that'll handle 8 cut-down resistors each,
so interfacing is easy.  And mechanically, there's very little to go
wrong.  For something like this, I'd probably use two PCBs (or
perfboards) - one with the resistors, and another spaced an inch or so
from it with holes for the lines to pass through to keep them from
getting tangled or slipping off the resistors.  You can also pass a loop
of cord through two holes to help reduce the mechanical stress on the
resistors - they'll take a 20-lb load directly with a clove hitch tied
around them, but I had no trouble holding a 200-lb load with a couple of
loops of cord.

Scott
N1VG