[aprssig] HF APRS Transceiver

Scott Miller scott at opentrac.org
Sat Mar 8 00:19:41 EST 2008

> made from color burst xtals.    [SIDE THOUGHT:   Are 3.579 color burst
> xtals going to become rare hard-to-find commodities with the switch to
> ATSC (digital) TV???]

I doubt it.  First, NTSC is still going to be around for a long time -
how many millions of CCTV cameras are out there?

Second, how many TVs and other devices still use an actual color burst
crystal?  I happen to have the data sheets for a couple of
NTSC/PAL/SECAM decoder chips here and they operate on a 14.31818 MHz
clock, and derive all timing from that reference.  I wouldn't be
surprised if your average modern TV doesn't have a color burst crystal
anywhere in it.

Lots of non-NTSC devices use color burst crystals (MX-614 modems, for
one) because they're cheap and widely available.  The crystal
manufacturers will keep producing them because the demand is there.
There are a lot of common crystal frequencies out there that'll be
around for a long time - multiples of common baud rates, for example.

Scott
N1VG